newbe's re question

Eric_Dexter at msn.com Eric_Dexter at msn.com
Wed Sep 20 10:13:56 EDT 2006

Frederic Rentsch wrote:
> Eric_Dexter at msn.com wrote:
> > All I am after realy is to change this
> >
> >  reline = re.line.split('instr', '/d$')
> >
> > into something that grabs any line with instr in it take all the
> > numbers and then grab any comment that may or may not be at the end of
> > the line starting with ; until the end of the line including white
> > spaces..  this is a corrected version from
> >
> > http://python-forum.org/py/viewtopic.php?t=1703
> >
> > thanks in advance the hole routine is down below..
> >

> > [code]
> > def extractCsdInstrument (input_File_Name, output_File_Name,
> > instr_number):
> >
> >     "takes an .csd input file and grabs instr_number instrument and
> > creates output_File_Name"
> >     f = open (input_File_Name , 'r')                #opens file passed
> > in to read
> >     f2 = open (output_File_Name, 'w')               #opens file passed
> > in to write
> >     instr_yes = 'false'                             #set flag to false
> >
> >     for line in f:                                  #for through all
> > the lines
> >       if "instr" in line:                           #look for instr in
> > the file
> >            if instr_yes == 'true':                    #check to see if
> > this ends the instr block
> >                break                                #exit the block
> >
> >            reline = re.line.split('instr', '/d$')     #error probily
> > split instr and /d (decimal number into parts) $ for end of line
> >            number = int(reline[1])                  #convert to a
> > number maybe not important
> >                 if number == instr_number:            #check to see if
> > it is the instr passed to function
> >                 instr_yes = "true":                 #change flag to
> > true because this is the instr we want
> >       if instr_yes = "true":                        #start of code to
> > copy to another file
> >            f2.write(f.line)                         #write line to
> > output file
> >
> >     f.close                                         #close input file
> >     f2.close
> >
> > [/code]
> >

> Eric,
>       From your problem description and your code it is unclear what
> exactly it is you want. The task appears to be rather simple, though,
> and if you don't get much useful help I'd say it is because you don't
> explain it very well.
>       I believe we've been through this before and your input data is
> like this
>
>    data = '''
>    <CsoundSynthesizer>;
>      ; test.csd - a Csound structured data file
>
>    <CsOptions>
>      -W -d -o tone.wav
>    </CsOptions>
>
>    <CsVersion>    ;optional section
>      Before 4.10  ;these two statements check for
>      After 4.08   ;   Csound version 4.09
>    </CsVersion>
>
>    <CsInstruments>
>      ; originally tone.orc
>      sr = 44100
> [...]

I want to pass the file name to the subroutine and return a comment
string if it is there maybe it should be simplier.  I probily should
have the option of grabbing the comment in other related routines.  I
am pretty ambitious with the main program.  I did notice some code in
tcl that would be usefull to the app If I compile it..  I am probily
not ready for that though..

http://www.dexrow.com