Python programs always open source?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 18 20:23:44 EDT 2006

Leif K-Brooks <eurleif at ecritters.biz> writes:

> I was replying to Ben Finney's claim that in a hypothetical world
> where Python was licensed under the GPL, there would still be no
> restriction on distributing Python programs under a closed-source
> license.

My claim (and IANAL) is that it doesn't matter *what* license Python
is distributed under; unless you do something with Python that is a
right of the copyright holder, such as distributing part or all of
Python, the copyright license terms of Python have no legal effect on
what license you choose for your own work.

--
 \           "People are very open-minded about new things, as long as |
  `\      they're exactly like the old ones."  -- Charles F. Kettering |