Why not event-driven packages in other than the main thread?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Sep 14 08:38:37 EDT 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:13:59 +0200, Tor Erik <torerik81 at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've developed an application were I've used Tkinter for the GUI.
>When I ran the GUI in another thread than the main, it kept locking
>up.
>I experienced similar problems with Twisted.
>
>Both of these tools are event-based, so I guess that is the root of the
>problem...
>
>But could anyone tell me why running these in a thread other than the
>main one doesn't work?

I don't know about Tkinter, but Twisted can be run in a thread other than
the main thread.  Several projects make use of this feature extensively, so
while I wouldn't recommend it, it should certainly work.

Perhaps you did something wrong in setting it up, or perhaps you have found
a bug.  Can you post a minimal example to reproduce this to Twisted's bug
tracker?

Jean-Paul