How do I submit fixes for urllib2 & urlparse?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Sep 27 15:45:25 EDT 2006

Neville CD <NevilleDNZ.python at 3ttechnology.com> writes:

> Basically I encountered some smallish problems with a couple of modules
> and figure I can fix the problems.
>
> I did find http://sourceforge.net/projects/python, should I report my
> problem report there and then assign them to myself to fix (and create
> test scripts).
>
> As you can probably guess I have not provided python fixes before.

Thanks for caring.

Please submit the bugs here:

Do a search there first, of course, to try and check whether somebody
else already reported it.

Do not assign the issue to anybody.  Pick the "Library Modules"
category and mention the name of the module(s) affected in the title
field.

If you have an actual patch, your bug is much more likely to be fixed,
and you should post it here instead:

More info:

http://www.python.org/dev/

http://www.python.org/dev/faq/#where-can-i-submit-view-bugs-for-python

> How complicated is this? eg I am using python 2.4 and 2.5b3.  Do I need
> to get up to speed with 2.6(?) and fix this also?  As a newbie which
> python mailing list should I subscribe to.

You don't have to subscribe to any list, but there are python-checkins
and bugs / patches mailing lists you can subscribe to if you want
(probably a good idea at the moment, since the SF tracker is not very
good and IIRC stopped sending the tracker update notifications that it
used to provide).  There's also python-dev, but most of that won't be
relevant.

It's certainly useful to check the bug against the most recent release
of Python, or better, against SVN HEAD.  But it's not strictly
necessary.

Much more important, though, is to provide a way of reproducing the
problem (preferably a small, standalone, executable piece of code!),
and a clear description of what you think is wrong.

> Please point me to the right URL to answer the above queries.
>
> FYI: the problems I encountered are for:
> 1. Set-cookies in 302 urllib2.httpRedirects.
> 2. Location: header %20 format problem
> 3. urlparse.start_tag attribute parsing and HTML syntax error recovery.

I try to review all urllib2, and certainly all cookielib, bug reports,
but I'm not currently organised about it.  Anybody who submits one,
please do email me to point me at it.  (occasionally I remember to
search for them, but much better just to email me).  Ditto if there's
something related to that code that is languishing -- I might fix it
if reminded.

The scarce resource is people to review and comment on patches and
bugs.  Other than emailing me about bugs affecting those particular
modules, the best way to get patches reviewed is to review, and
comment on, five other patches and then email python-dev stating that
you have done so, and which bugs you reviewed.  Several people have
offered to review your patch if you do that.  It's also a good way to
find out just how much more competent than the rest of us people like
Martin von Loewis are :-)

BTW, note that an RFC 3986/3987-compliant replacement for urlparse is
in the works (in theory, anyway), and should be part of Python 2.6.
Bugs in urlparse should still be fixed, but urlparse is not intended
to be fully compliant with those RFCs.

John