python-Levenshtein-0.10.1

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Sep 22 18:30:44 EDT 2006

joshbloom at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've been using this c implementation
> http://trific.ath.cx/resources/python/levenshtein/ on a windows box and
> it works great.
>
> I'd like to move my app over to linux machine and am wondering if
> someone could help me understand how to 'install' this extension on a
> linux machine?

Standard procedure for installing from source distribution any
well-packaged package (including extensions)  on any platform:

1. make a directory for the purpose
2. unpack the downloaded archive into the directory
3. cd to the directory
4. which should contain a file "setup.py"
5. at the shell/command/whatever prompt, do
    setup.py install
or whatever it takes to run the "setup.py" script with one argument,
"install"
6. stand well back :-)

-- all of which and much more can be found here:

http://docs.python.org/inst/inst.html

HTH,
John