Questions on Using Python to Teach Data Structures and Algorithms

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Fri Sep 29 10:37:43 EDT 2006

MonkeeSage wrote:

> > def cons(car,cdr): return (car,cdr) # or [car,cdr]
> > def car(cons): return cons[0]
> > def cdr(cons): return cons[1]
>
> I guess you were talking about implementing the _structure_ of lisp
> lists in python syntax (as you seem to imply), not trying to emulate
> their _behavior_ with one-dimensional python lists.

The original poster was asking about using Python for teaching data
structures and algorithms, and the implementation details of Python
lists in particular. It may not be obvious that they are essentially
arrays under the hood.

The Lisp discussion became a digression; I was not trying to implement
Lisp in Python, but rather demonstrate the difference between Lisp
lists and Python lists.