productivity and long computing delays

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) tdelaney at avaya.com
Wed Sep 27 18:08:27 EDT 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Anyone got any suggestions?  How do you deal with this?  It could be
> mitigated with a faster computer (I'm using a 1.2 ghz Pentium M) but
> the overall task isn't large enough to justify going out and buying
> one.  Anyway, I did the same build on a 2 ghz Athlon 64 and was
> surprised that the speedup was only 35% or so.  I'd have to get a
> multiprocessor box to obtain really substantial gains.

Sounds like a typical time/money tradeoff to me. How much is your time
worth to you on this project? If you can reduce the delay by 50%, and do
it 10 times, you could well pay for a new Core 2 Duo machine.

As an alternative, do you have multiple machines you could use? Perhaps
you could use distributed compilation.

Tim Delaney