What's up with site.Quitter?

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 27 06:41:37 EDT 2006

Georg Brandl wrote:
> James Stroud wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Still jubilantly configuring my work environment for python 2.5, I
>> came accross a curiosity when writing an automatic vim syntax file
>> creator (so I can automatically update my syntax coloring with future
>> python releases).
>>
>> It seems I can find a reference to just about every type except those
>> for "exit" and "quit" in the standard library somewhere. E.g.:
>>
>> py> type(__builtins__.Ellipsis) is types.EllipsisType
>> True
>>
>> However, in an appearant break with consistency, this can not be done
>> for "exit" and "quit" because site.Quitter is nested inside of the
>> setquit() function in the site.py module.
>>
>> Would moving this class definition to module level be something that
>> would meet with great resistance?
>
> Not really, but what would you do with it? It's an internal object used
> for only exit() and quit(), and of no real use elsewhere.
>
> Georg

Outside of my type checking against it for syntax coloring, I have no
idea. I just get a funny feeling with computers when exceptions to a
general pattern come along. But then again, maybe the consistency I
perceive for the rest of __builtins__ is more or less illusory. This
might have been the point of Fredrik's question.

James