another distutils question

Keith Perkins keith at keithperkins.net
Fri Sep 29 19:24:22 EDT 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:53:46 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> is there anyway I can, in a setup.py file, set  and internal equivalent
> to the '--install-scripts' commandline option?
>
> script installation directory but I don't want on the command line where
> things can go horribly wrong if the user forgets.  I would like to
> create a new default setting  for this commandline option as well as a
> couple of other such as the data default directory.
>
> --- eric

On a similar note , I have another question about distutils and data files.
I have a little program that uses a txt file to store data, and it works
fine running it in it's own folder, if I install through distutils, using
sudo to get it to write to the site-packages folder (which root owns), it
installs the data file so that it is owned by root, and not by me, so
that the data file can't be written to (although the script can read it).
Do I need to run a post install script, or add something to setup.py file
to chown the file or am I doing something wrong?  There doesn't seem to be
anything on this in the docs.
Thanks in advance,
Keith