A critique of cgi.escape

Paul Rubin http
Tue Sep 26 11:22:45 EDT 2006

Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com> writes:
> o cgi.escape is not meant for serious web application development,

What is it meant for then?  Why should the library ever implement
anything in a half-assed way unsuitable for serious application
development, if it can supply a robust implementation instead?

Your other points are reasonable.  I like the idea of adding an option
to escape single quotes, but I don't care much what the defaults are.

I notice that the options for pickle.dump/dumps changed incompatibly
between Python 2.2 and 2.3, and nobody really cared.