Building things with setup.py

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 21 22:33:39 EDT 2006

Hello All,

This is annoying. I am trying to build scipy right now but every .so
file requires my adding "-lpython2.5 -lpthread -lm -lutil -ldl -shared"
to the ld flags.

Main Question: When building with "setup.py", where can I include this
information so I don't have to link every .so file by hand?

Also, why would this not be caught by the developers of scipy and numpy?
What factors go into needing to specify libraries and to properly link
.so files manually? Certainly the enthought didn't forget to test the
build process, so why would my machine be special in this regard?

I'm running Linux FC4 on a dual intel p4 (~3.2 GHz) with sundry
libraries in non-standard places. Is this non-standard part what's
killing me?

James

--
James Stroud