windev vs python SOS

Wolfgang Keller wolfgang.keller.nospam at gmx.de
Sat Sep 30 07:42:25 EDT 2006

>   - python work on multiple platform (linux, mac, windows)
> 	A good point but it didn't interest him. Because
> 	we want to choose a language for prototyping.
> 	So multi platform is not enough.

With Python the prototype _is_ the application. You just need to add a little
bit of polishing (exception handling etc.) where required, maybe implement a
speed-critical module in Pyrex, that's it.

And for running a production application, cross-platform-ness _is_ important.
Or what would you do when your customer wants to run his application not just
on Windows, but on an embedded OS like VxWorks, QNX, or a _real_ server OS
such as any proprietary Unix (including MacOS X), Linux, *BSD, OS/400 (or
whatever it is called now), MVS...

Can Windev interface with .net? For Python, there's Python.net (not
Ironpython, that's a different thing).

Can Windev interface with Java? For Python, there's JPype (not Jython, that's
a different thing as well).

Does Windev interface with JMS, Java RMI, SAP RFC, mqseries and other
middleware?

Can you build COM clients and servers in Windev? Can you build Corba clients
and servers in Windev?

Can Windev interface natively with nearly every relational database on the
planet?

Can you easily access any C/C++ library from Windev?

Is Windev code as readable as Python for non-computer scientists?

>   - windev as a good IDE, python? boa-constructor is ok with wxpython

Python for Windows comes with an IDE (PythonWin) iirc. Otherwise there are
plenty of development tools for database applications in Python (not all
mentioned below are free):

Access/Filemaker-like:
- Rekall (Qt)
- Knoda (Qt)
- Kexi (Qt)
- Gemello (GTK)
- Glom (GTK)

GUI-Builders:
- Qt Designer
- Glade (GTK)
- Gazpacho (GTK) & Kiwi (application framework)
- wxGlade (wxwidgets)
- DialogBlocks (wxWidgets)
- VisualWx (wxWidgets)
- wxDesigner (wxWidgets)

IDEs:
- WingIDE
- Eric3
- SPE
- Komodo
- PyDev (for Eclipse)
- Trustudio (for Eclipse)
- Pythoncard (incl. GUI-Builder)
- Boa Constructor (incl. GUI-Builder)

Others:
- GNUe (wxWidgets) (complete framework for enterprise database applications,
including application server etc.)
- TinyERP (GTK) (complete ERP implemented in Python, but if you strip out all
the ERP-specific modules, you get a powerful framework inlcuding a workflow
engine)
- Dabo (wxWidgets) (framework & GUI Builder)

>   - python is open source (that's not an argument for my boss, sorry
> it's 	a boss ...)

The point is that with Python you _can_ have commercial support if you
want/need to. With Windev, as with any other proprietary software, you
_depend_ on the original developer to continue to exist, fix bugs, implement
required functionality...

How anyone can bet the existence of a company on proprietary software in a
time where even multi-billion dollar companys get taken over just to
"consolidate competition" is beyond my scope of comprehension.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

--
My email-address is correct.