another distutils question

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Sep 29 23:12:03 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

> Instead, include the default data inside the package (read-only to non-root
> users). Then allow the script itself to create the directory the first time it
> is run (read-write, and it should then automatically be accessible to the user
> that ran the script). You might also add a command-line option to *only* install
> that directory.

I would be okay with a package/data/... arrangement if and only if the
data within that directory was read only and only changed when the
package changed it.  System specific changes would be in a system copy
of the configuration file and user specific changes would be a user copy.

If you create a configuration system which uses a union of all three
configuration files, you eliminate unnecessary replication of
configuration values, minimize changes necessary when the baseline
configuration file changes, and  you also have the opportunity to
control scope of configuration variables.  I.e. some that are only
changed in the system config file.

I have an application dependent version of this I've been using for the
past three years and, it's really nice.  It lets me mostly ignore the
configuration files and focus on what I'm trying to solve.

--- eric