Outbound port on sockets

bmearns bmearns at coe.neu.edu
Thu Sep 14 09:42:34 EDT 2006

Passive mode is implemented, the client isn't trying to use it.
Besides, that doesn't really help me anyway, all it means is that I
have to resolve port forwarding for the server, instead of for the
client.

I think what this basically comes down to is that either with PASV or
PORT, there's a relatively arbitrary port number being specified, and I
can't figure out how to get my router to forward it since I don't know
what it will be in advance, short of forwarding all the 64 thousand
some odd valid ports.

The thing that gets me is that I can connect to the other FTP servers,
and (according to the responses echoed by the command line FTP client),
they're using PORT, not PASV. So somehow, my client is specifying some
arbitrary port for the server to connect to, and that port is actually
being forwarded through my router.

-Brian