Clarify Regex in Python.

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Tue Sep 12 08:46:47 EDT 2006

cooldudevamsee at gmail.com wrote:
> > Erm, is there some specific reason why you can't just use the search
> > method? Why does it *have* to be match()?
> >
> > regards
> >   Steve
>

> I know there r many more methods to do the job, I just wonder can we
> turnoff the default behaviour of match method.

Don't wonder. Read the documentation. There is a whole section devoted
to match versus search.  If you believe there are undocumented keyword
arguments to the match method and we are wantonly withholding the
information, then you should check out your theory by downloading the
source code and reading that.

HTH,
John