Is it just me, or is Sqlite3 goofy?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Mon Sep 11 12:12:59 EDT 2006

Kay Schluehr wrote:
> skip at pobox.com wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't be at all surprised if the pysqlite author operated under that
>> assumption.  That the Python developers didn't pick up on the issue is not
>> surprising.  I'm not sure how many of them are (py)sqlite users, probably
>> relatively few.
>>
>> Skip
>
> Who has reviewed sqlite/pysqlite after all?

pysqlite was actually reviewed by several Python core developers before
becoming a part of the Python standard library, most prominently Neil
Norwitz and Anthony Baxter.

> Reading the passage in the
> sqlite FAQ I can hardly believe that passing errors silently and
> coercing everything to string when it fails to be coerced to INTEGER
> although INTEGER was an invariant declared in the create command is on
> par with Pythons design philosophy. [...]

Unfortunately, third-party library authors don't first check with
Python's design philosophy in case their software will be wrapped as a
Python module ;-)

I did my best to combine both SQLite's and Python's type system though,
including a discussion with pysqlite 1.x users before the grand rewrite
for version 2, which is the one that ended up in the Python standard
library now.

> In other cases doctoral dissertations are written about whether a
> keyword or some punctuation shall be used for decorator syntax and in
> this case everything must be rushed into the code base of the
> standard library?

There was no rush at all.

-- Gerhard