Is it just me, or is Sqlite3 goofy?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sat Sep 9 00:14:04 EDT 2006

 > It's not a bug, it's a feature.  And answered as third point in the
FAQ:

> http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q3
>
> I think your whole experience is based on it.  Live with it or use a
> real RDBMS.
>
> If you are so fond of static typing, why are you using Python in the first
> place?  Just see it as consistency -- dynamically typed language →
> dynamically typed DB columns.  ;-)
>
> Ciao,
> 	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

I have to admit I find this bogus too. It has by no means anything to
do with static typing but letting "errors pass silently" i.e.
deactivating runtime type checks as well. The problem here is that
fields are not dynamically type checked but completely untyped and only
coercion hints are present. Using a clever coercion / "type-affinity"
does not justify that there is no error case handling when the coercion
fails. This might be handled by user code ( or better by the pysqlite
wrapper ) but it appears to be redundant.