Survival of the fittest

MonkeeSage MonkeeSage at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 23:39:09 EDT 2006

James Stroud wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what are these features that ruby has that python
> lacks. I've always wondered whether I should look at ruby--whether, as a
> language, it has anything to teach me that say python, C, and Java don't
> (LISP/Scheme is on my short-list to learn.)

Just a guess, myself not being the OP; but I would imagine that true
blocks / continuation passing and overriding / extending built-in
classes would rank high on the list. You can do the same things in
python (by using a different implementation), but it's not always as
clear or easy (e.g., coroutines in ruby as alot clearer using a callcc
approach than python's generator approach, imo at least -- but that's
also highly subjective).

Ps. I agree with the OP on the point I like python alot. :)

Regards,
Jordan