wxPython and threading issue

Patrick Smith smith.patrick__NOSPAM__ at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 23:25:52 EDT 2006

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

<sjdevnull at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1159499923.311082.63610 at h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Patrick Smith wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm hoping someone here will be able to help as I've been struggling
with
> > this problem for a few days now.
> >
> > I'm working on an application that is creating a ProgressDialog, and
then
> > creating a thread that runs a function from another module in the
program.

> > The problem is, when the cancel button on the ProgressDialog is pressed,
the
> > thread that was created continues to run.  How can I make it so that
when
> > the cancel button on the dialog is clicked, the spawned thread dies?
>
> Have the main thread set a flag telling the worker thread to exit, and
> have the worker thread check that periodically when it knows it's in a
> safe state to exit.

This would work, unfortunately, the thread that it spawns calls a function
in a loop, that function has an incredibly long run-time, on the order of
minutes (possibly hours depending on the input), and that function, its self
is multithreaded.
This means that the worker thread could only check the flag after each
completion of this long-running function.

Given that this is the situation, is it possible to do what I mentioned
above?  Or does the long running function prevent any nice way of doing
this?