Libraries in python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Sep 2 19:47:47 EDT 2006

> That's my $0.02 on Python packaging and library dependencies. In my
> opinion it's one of the few things that Java got right that Python
> didn't.

Yeah, sure. Hunting down a subtle class loading bug because of e.g.
different xml-api versions in your classpath in just a few hours is a
thing java certainly "got right".

Additionally, you refuse to "hack" around with sys.path, but the concept
of CLASSPATH that you have to carefully compose in the first place
appeals to you.

There is no standard way of versioned library access anywhere in java -
so while setuptools might not be perfect, they at least offer _something_.

And the fact that machine code containing eggs are an annoyance to you
is perfectly met by the need of java to have JNI dependant .so/.dll
files being part of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and whatever is needed on
windows, I presume PATH)

Just because every nitwit in java is accustomed to meddle with
classpaths and thus the application servers do something like adding
WEB-INF/lib to the classpath (a thing that you refer to as hacking in
python) does not mean its system is in any way superior to pythons.

Diez