Coding Nested Loops

Dan Sommers me at privacy.net
Sat Sep 16 12:22:46 EDT 2006

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:29:26 -0700 (PDT),
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>   Two questions germane to random: 1) Why wasn't choice available when
> I used 'import random,' ...

When you import random, all you're doing is importing the module; you
have to specify any given attribute thereof:

    import random
    random.choice( [ 1, 5, 7 ] )

> ... 2) What are the differences between 'choice' and 'shuffle?'

choice chooses one element of a given list and leaves the list itself
alone; shuffle shuffles the list, presumably so that you can iterate
through the elements yourself.

HTH,
Dan

--