threading support in python

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 14:22:18 EDT 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "sjdevnull at yahoo.com" <sjdevnull at yahoo.com> writes:
> > (1) I think is here to stay, if you're going to tell programmers that
> > their destructors can't make program-visible changes (e.g. closing the
> > database connection when a dbconn is destroyed), that's a _huge_ change
> > from current practice that needs serious debate.
>
> We had that debate already (PEP 343).  Yes, there is some sloppy
> current practice by CPython users that relies on the GC to close the
> db conn.

This point is unrelated to with or ref-counting.  Even the standard
library will close file objects when they are GC'd.  If this is not
acceptable, it's a major change; that's why I say (1) is here to stay.
But I think we're misunderstanding each other somehow on this point (I
don't think you're saying that the standard library is sloppily coded
in this regard), I just don't know how.