Pythondocs.info : collaborative Python documentation project

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sun Sep 17 14:59:38 EDT 2006

nicolasfr at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a bit disapointed with the current Python online documentation. I
> have read many messages of people complaining about the documentation,
> it's lack of examples and the use of complicated sentences that you
> need to read 10 times before understanding what it means.
>
> That's why I have started a collaborative project to make a user
> contributed Python documentation. The wiki is online here:
> http://www.pythondocs.info
>
> This is a fresh new website, so there's not much on it, but I hope to
> make it grow quickly. Help and contributions are welcome; Please
> register and start posting your own documentation on it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nicolas.
> -----
> http://www.pythondocs.info

Personally, I never found the Python docs particular bad. It is
rewarding to write good documentation because documentation has
different aspects i.e. introductory/tutorial, exhaustive/manual and
design documentation aspects. Not to mention cookbook recipes.

I also observe that the discussion about Python docs is very tool
centered and my question to all the people who believe to improve the
Python docs by converting old tuturials into Wikis is that: what are
the precise requirements? Will an internet connection soon be necessary
to know how the sys module works?  Are there any thoughts about
integrating 3rd party module/package documentation with the docs of the
stdlib / tutorial / language ref etc.so that they finally find their
logical place in the system ? Are there any intentions to create an
informational PEP regarding documentation in any forseeable future or
shall documentation projects continue to start in the wild?

So far I've not seen a documentation project ( besides the "official"
one of course ) that provided qualified criticism and didn't suffer
from a second system syndrome.