best way of testing a program exists before using it?

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 11 11:06:06 EDT 2006

I am writing a wrapper to a binary command to run it and then do
something with the xml output from it.

What is the best way of making sure that the command is installed on the
system before I try to execute it, like the python equivalent of the
unix command "which"?

Otherwise I'd have to do something like:

if os.system('which somecommand') != 0:
    print "you don't have %s installed" % somecommand
    sys.exit(1)

I know that isn't portable which is why a python solution would be
better (although this will run on unix anyway, but it'd be nice if it
ran on windows too).

-h

--
Hari Sekhon