Don't use regular expressions to "validate" email addresses

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Sep 22 08:26:47 EDT 2006

Ben Finney wrote:
> "John Machin" <sjmachin at lexicon.net> writes:
>

>>What proportion of deliverable e-mail addresses have more than one @
>>in them?
>

> I don't know. Fortunately, I don't need to; I don't "validate" email
> addresses by regular expression.
>
> What proportion of deliverable email addresses do you want to discard
> as "not valid"?

Just as a matter of interest, are you expecting that you'll find out
about the undeliverable ones? Because in many cases nowadays you wont,
since so many domains are filtering out "undeliverable mail" messages as
an anti-spam defence.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119