Building things with setup.py

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Sep 22 20:38:00 EDT 2006

James Stroud <jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu> writes:

> <rant>I try things until a build works. I consider everything I do
> until acquiring a working build as necessary. Going back to see
> exactly what I did to make things work is not a viable option

Before trying such "I don't know what I need to do, but I'm going to
want to know after I do it" procedures, I usually start 'script' in
the shell session and then start all my experimenting. ('script' is a
tool from BSD available on most GNU/Linux distributions as well.)

That way, the entire session, fumbling dead-ends and all, is available
for later examination and trimming back to a "what I did to get it
working" document.

--
 \         "I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, |
  `\      when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still |