Questions on Using Python to Teach Data Structures and Algorithms

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 16:50:13 EDT 2006

On 9/28/06, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
>
> > Going back to the original question, a related question: does anybody
> > know why there are so few books on data structures and algorithms that
> > use Python?
>
> Probably because Python has "better than textbook" implementations of
> core structures, and "better than textbook" implementations of many core
> algorithms, so lots of things can be done more efficiently by combining
> existing structures and algorithms than by using "textbook" algorithms.

OK, point taken. But having that shown explicitly in a (variety of)
traditional-looking DSA textbooks would be great. (And for some of us,
it might provide a conforting: "oh man, see how easy it is now with
Python").  After all, I think DSA classes are standard in CS
curricula. And what does the budding Python programmer answer to his
Pascal friend when he says "look, here is my linked list"?

Best,

R.

> </F>
>
> --