another distutils question

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 15:42:23 EDT 2006

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>> Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>>> is there anyway I can, in a setup.py file, set  and internal equivalent
>>> to the '--install-scripts' commandline option?
>> Please don't. Hard-coding that interferes with the user's decision of where
>> things should go. Only the user should be making that decision, not the package
>> author.
>
>   I understand the concern and if I was making a general purpose
> package, it would be appropriate to not set the path.  But these are
> internal commands that shouldn't pollute /usr/bin for a variety of
> reasons (almost all daemons, friends of daemons and cgi programs).

Okay, if it's just for internal use, then I certainly have no objection. Use a
setup.cfg file:

   http://docs.python.org/inst/config-syntax.html

Specifically, use something like the following section:

[install]
install_scripts=/path/to/scripts/directory

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco