String Pattern Matching: regex and Python regex documentation

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Fri Sep 22 15:11:35 EDT 2006

[followup to c.l.py]

Xah Lee wrote:
> the Python regex documentation is available at:
> http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/module-re.html
>
> Note that, i've just made the terms of use clear.
>
> Also, can anyone answer what is the precise terms of license of the
> official python documentation? The official python.org doc site is not
> clear.

I would be interested in this information, too.

> Note also, that the regex syntax used by Perl is the same as Python.
> So, this section
>  http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/re-syntax.html
> which contains clear explanation of regex syntax, will be of interest
> to Perl programers as well.

Your tutorial has helped me to write my first regular expression:

http://dev.lazaridis.com/base/changeset/60

your notes about documentation are interesting, too:

http://xahlee.org/perl-python/re-write_notes.html

I have some notes, too:

http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/Docu

-

I would like to read more on your website, but the usability is
terrible, mainly due to the missing navigation.

What about an exchange?

I assist you with the navigation. you will just need apache
server-side-include and one file "navigation.html", which will contail
all of the navigation, very simple.

And you make an real life example for a python regular expression use-case:

i want to scan a text for this line:

[[CustomAttributes(this=4,that=34,name='peter')]]

picking "this=4" ...

and add the attributes to an object.

object = addCustomAttributes(text)

(ok, the regex part would be enouth).