matplotlib: TypeError: a float is required

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Sep 17 10:12:30 EDT 2006

Andi Clemens wrote:

> All examples were taken from the matplotlib-homepage but they won't work
> on my installation and I don't know why.
> You point out that "left and height are Numeric arrays", and that is
> exactly what they are, so what am I missing?

Looks to me like for "height" you are passing in menMeans which is a
tuple containing integers. The standard deviation args have the same
problem

> I tried nearly 10 examples from different websites and tutorials and
> none of them worked!

Care to point me at the smallest other example that didn't work? Did
you copy/paste the example or did you retype it? Does "not work" mean
each gave the same error from the same line of code in Numeric? If not,
is there any pattern that you can detect?