a different question: can you earn a living with *just* python?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Sep 26 19:04:48 EDT 2006

Richard Jones <richardjones at optushome.com.au> writes:

> John Salerno wrote:
> > But what if you are an expert Python program and have zero clue
> > about other languages? Can you still earn a living that way, or do
> > most/all companies require multiple language proficiency?
>
> These are separate questions. I know a dozen languages but I'm only
> required to know Python for my day job.

That may be the only technology skill listed on the job description,
but I'm betting you would be unable to perform satisfactorily if
Python was truly the only programming language you knew.

I've worked with you, if I'm not mistaken, and your Python skill is
only one technology skill of many that contribute to why an employer
would choose you. That they focus on Python skill in the job advert
doesn't change my opinion that they won't find what they're looking
for in a Python-only expert.

--
 \      "The judge asked, 'What do you plead?' I said, 'Insanity, your |
  `\         honour. Who in their right mind would park in the passing |