IDE

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Wed Sep 6 10:59:09 EDT 2006

Aravind wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am a newbie to python but used with some developement in c++ and VB. Can
> anyone suggest me a good IDE for python for developing apps...? i've seen Qt
> designer.. some of my friends said it can be used for python also but they r
> not sure.

What you're talking about here is a GUI designer tool, not an IDE. GUI
designer tools are bound to a particular GUI toolkit, so you need to
choose your GUI toolkit too. There are some GUI toolkits available for
Python, the most used being TK (the one in the stdlib), wxWidget (a C++
portable toolkit running on Windows/Unices/MacOS X) and GTK (a C toolkit
initially written for Linux, but there's a Windows port AFAIK), with the
corresponding bindings for Python resp. Tkinter, wxPython and PyGTK.
QTDesigner is for QT, another GUI toolkit running on bowth Windows and
Linux - but there are (was) some licencing limitations on Windows.

--
bruno desthuilliers