Is it just me, or is Sqlite3 goofy?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Sep 12 01:51:17 EDT 2006

At Tuesday 5/9/2006 16:23, mensanator at aol.com wrote:

>I would be surprised if they had never used ANY database. A little
>thing like dynamic field typing will simply make it impossible to
>migrate your Sqlite data to a *real* database.

Why not? Because it breaks the relational model rules? That model
certainly was great 30 years ago, but now things are different. (In
fact, you didn't menction the word "relational", but I presume you
were thinking of that).
Even what you call *real* databases have a lot of incompatibilities
among them (e.g. ORACLE does not provide an "autoincrement" type, but
has sequences, and so on...). Of course you could restrict yourself
to, by example, SQL92 entry level and be a lot more compatible.
But if I'm using a nice OO language like Python which lets me bind
*any* object to *any* name, why should be wrong to bind *any* object
to *any* database column? Looks a lot more "pythonic" for me. Of
course, a true object database (like ZODB) is better.

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).