Fatal error after RE-installing Python 2.3.4

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sat Sep 23 18:22:14 EDT 2006

Cappy2112 wrote:

> > Some thoughts and questions:
> > 1. Telling us what the allegedly spurious pychecker warnings were would
> > be a good idea.
>
> pychecker isn't really a concern at this point- and has ben uninstalled
> (actually deleted, since there is no installer/uninstaller for this
> package.)
> But I was getting lots of missing module warnings, which two of my
> co-workers did not get.

That's right, pychecker is not a concern. It's very unlikely to be part
of the problem. Do please consider that it could be part of the
*solution* -- which missing modules? what directories are they in on
your co-workers' machines? what directories are they in on your machine
-- same/different/none??? Answers to those questions might just give
you a clue as to what is going on.

Talking about clues, are there entries in drwtsn32.log from when Python
crashes? Do they give any clues?

> When I saw the pychecker anomally, I decided to rein-install Python & a
> few of the packages.

Uh-oh ... what packages?  Which few? Suggestion: (1) Re-install Python.
Check if it crashes. (2) Install package 1, check, install package 2,
check, ...

Note: Uninstalling Python will blow all your packages away iff they are
all installed in the site-packages directory of the Python
installation. It may be worth exploring this hypothesis: package has
PYD or DLL, it's corrupted, it's installed outside the normal Python
package hierarchy, so doesn't get cleaned away ...

Recall that you get Python crashing only when run in the command
window; this may indicate that the PATH environment variable is causing
something else to be loaded than what you expect. Try looking in every
directory in that path to see if there is any old rubbish there:
python*.exe, python23.dll, some_package.dll, some_package.pyd, ...

BTW, if python -v doesn't clue you in, try python -vv
---- that's "v" * 2, not dubya :-)

HTH,
John