help with debugging a ctypes problem

gap pajerpunctuationinamedotcom
Sun Sep 24 16:01:12 EDT 2006

p.lavarre at ieee.org wrote:
>> help figuring out how to debug ... ctypes ...
>> a commercial dll.  A certain function takes five arguments, foo(a, b, c, d, e).
>> Can I view the appropriate stack? ... Any other ideas or advice?  etc?
>
> Did you call the foo of _cdecl ctypes.cdll or the foo of _stdcall =
> ctypes.windll?
>
> What is the sizeof each argument type?  Preferably fetched by compiling
> some C to printf them?
>
> Would it help to call C in another Dll to return the stack pointer, so
> Python could print the stack?

Uh... windll, I think.  I'm really green here.

But there is news:  If simply leave off the last argument of foo() and
bar(), each works as expected.  That is, I call foo() with four instead
of the five that the docs and the c example call for, and I call bar()
with one argument instead of the two that are called for.  Everything
works, but you gotta wonder.

Meanwhile, I upgraded from ctypes 0.9.6 to 1.0.0,  but I don't think
that that changed anything.

I'll see if I can implement your suggestions, and if I manage it, I'll
report back.

thanks,
-g