IronPython 1.0 - Bugs or Features?

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Sep 6 19:16:03 EDT 2006

Yes, IronPython generates IL which the JIT will then compile when the method is invoked - so our parse/compile time is slower due to this.  We've experimented w/ a fully interpreted mode (which can be enabled with -X:FastEval) where we walk the generated AST instead of compiling it, but that mode doesn't necessarily pass all the tests (and would get worse performance for long running code).

There are other issues w/ startup time as well besides this though that we need to fix (for example we load all the types in mscorlib & System before we drop you into the interpreter, which is a lot of types to be loading...).  I suspect that for a small code snippet it's issues like these that are the most noticeable.