eval(source, {'builtins': {}}) archived as Faq

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Sep 29 03:50:01 EDT 2006

Duncan Booth wrote:

> I'm slightly surprised that nobody has yet pointed out that the OP failed
> at the very first hurdle here. If you are going to do this dangerous trick
> then 'builtins' should be spelled '__builtins__':

I did, because otherwise the exploit I gave wouldn't have worked so easily.

The bottom line here is that you shouldn't even try to go through the
exercise of seeing if you can bullet-proof a solution using eval;
instead, you shouldn't even try.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   Everyone wants to look good at his own funeral.
    -- Louis Wu