XSLT speed comparisons

Damian damian at nice.co.nz
Thu Sep 28 01:10:09 EDT 2006

Ross Ridge wrote:
> Hmm... it seems that you don't have MSXML 4.0 installed on your
> machine.  I missed the fact that you're using ASP.NET, so your ASP code
> probably is probably using the .NET XML implementation instead of
> MSXML.  In that case, another alternative might be to use IronPython
> and just translate your ASP script into Python.
>
>                                          Ross Ridge

Sorted!

I installed msxml4 and then struggled for an hour or so with an
encoding error (UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec.... etc) which was
fixed by altering your code from:

return proc.output --> return proc.output.encode('utf-8')

The performance of MSXML over 4suite is substantial.
4suite: http://python.pointy.co.nz/test = 2.5s
MSXML: http://python.pointy.co.nz/test_msxml = 1.1s

I'd like to eventually break all ties with MS at some stage. It'll be
interesting to test this performance on a Linux server.

Thank you for your help Ross.