Unicode / cx_Oracle problem

Richard Schulman raschulmanxx at verizon.net
Sat Sep 9 23:17:19 EDT 2006

>>  cursor.execute("""INSERT INTO mean (mean_id,mean_eng_txt)
>>      VALUES (:id,:mean)""",id=id,mean=mean)
>>  "cx_Oracle.NotSupportedError: Variable_TypeByValue(): unhandled data
>> type unicode"
>>
>> But when I try putting a codecs.BOM_UTF16_LE in various plausible
>> places, I just end up generating different errors.

Diez:
>Show us the alleged plausible places, and the different errors.
>Otherwise it's crystal ball time again.

More usefully, let's just try to fix the code above. Here's the error
message I get:

NotSupportedError: Variable_TypeByValue(): unhandled data type unicode

Traceback (innermost last):

File "c:\pythonapps\LoadMeanToOra.py", line 1, in ?
  # LoadMeanToOra reads a UTF-16LE input file one record at a time
File "c:\pythonapps\LoadMeanToOra.py", line 23, in ?
  cursor.execute("""INSERT INTO mean (mean_id,mean_eng_txt)

What I can't figure out is whether cx_Oracle is saying it can't handle
Unicode for an Oracle nvarchar2 data type or whether it can handle the
input but that it needs to be in a specific format that I'm not
supplying.

- Richard Schulman