a different question: can you earn a living with *just* python?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Sep 26 17:05:53 EDT 2006

At Tuesday 26/9/2006 16:38, John Salerno wrote:

>It's a nice thought that a person can earn a living programming with
>Python, which is fun enough to use just for its own sake. But for
>someone like me (i.e. no programming experience) it's always a little
>disheartening to see that most (if not all) job descriptions that ask
>for Python still require some C/C++ or other language knowledge. I
>suppose this isn't an issue if you studied CS in college, because you
>would have been exposed to many languages.

Sometimes it's the "one-size-fits-all" concept applied to workers:
just one man to do all things.

>But what if you are an expert Python program and have zero clue about
>other languages? Can you still earn a living that way, or do most/all
>companies require multiple language proficiency?

I think it's difficult to be an expert Python programmer and at the
same time know nothing about other languages.
It's a bit like "general music practice", playing other instruments
other than your main one may help a lot.

>(I suppose this isn't exactly a Python problem, either. I'm sure even
>companies that don't use Python still use multiple languages. Maybe it
>isn't a good idea to focus entirely on a single language, depending on
>the job at hand.)

As an example, here at work we use: mostly Python (for web
applications) and Delphi (desktop) both for new projects; Java for
some background data mining processes; and a bunch of
BASIC/Pascal/FORTRAN legacy code which I wish I could throw away ...

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).