egg and modpython

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Sep 10 12:15:51 EDT 2006

Wensheng a écrit :
> I installed pysqlite2 using easy_install.
> and got this when using it from modpython:
> Mod_python error: "PythonHandler etc.modpython"
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):

(snip)

> ExtractionError: Can't extract file(s) to egg cache
>
> The following error occurred while trying to extract file(s) to the
> Python egg
> cache:
>
>   [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/www/.python-eggs'
>
> The Python egg cache directory is currently set to:
>
>   /var/www/.python-eggs
>
> Perhaps your account does not have write access to this directory?  You
> can
> change the cache directory by setting the PYTHON_EGG_CACHE environment
> variable to point to an accessible directory.
>
> Can peak developers fix this please?

Why should they "fix" something that's
1/ documented
    -> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EggFormats#zip-file-issues
2/ not a an egg specific issue
3/ really just a configuration/permission problem

(snip)

> in the mean time, I just have to use old "download, unzip/untar &&
> python setup.py install" way.

No - you have to read the manual and fix you configuration. FWIW, the
above traceback gives far enough clues (it's even written in all letters).

Or you may read easy_install's doc to avoid installing zipped eggs:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#compressed-installation

HTH