Is it just me, or is Sqlite3 goofy?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Sep 12 17:54:46 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Paul Boddie wrote:
>
> > To be fair, that text originates in section 12.3, referring to input
> > parameters to procedures.
>
> which is the section that section 4.1 ("data types") refers to for more
> details on mappings between host data and SQL data.  guess it depends on
> how you look at the different layers: if you're using SQLite via the DB-
> API, are you using "SQL" or an "SQL Agent"?

Don't ask me! :-) I found it awkward enough scrolling up and down an n
* 100 page plain text document formatted for a line printer in my Web
browser, let alone spending time working out the cross-references
throughout the text, all in the five to ten minutes I spent looking
this up.

Nevertheless, one could read the "value of any input parameter provided
by the SQL-agent falls outside the set of allowed values of the data
type of the parameter" as being something different from supplying a
value of one particular data type in a place where another data type is
expected. And I thought that the quote about valid values in insert
statements provided a more categorical summary of the specification's
position on such matters. Certainly, it's hard to read that and then to
claim that a string is acceptable in places where a number is expected,
regardless of what section 12.3 is trying to say.

Paul