question about including something like sqlite in python

Mon Sep 11 15:06:45 EDT 2006

I was just thinking, since Python 3.0 is supposed to clean up a lot of
the unnecessary or redundant features of Python and make other things
more streamlined, does it seem to anyone that including SQLite goes
against this goal?

This is just me thinking out loud, mind you, but it seems like including
  a database module (especially one that many people won't use in favor
of MySQL or PostgreSQL, etc.) is weighing down the standard library. I
suppose the sqlite module might still be removed in 3.0, but the
inclusion of it at all seems a little strange (and also sort of like an
endorsement for using it).

I can see how it would be helpful to include something like hashlib, for
example, because it streamlines the different hashing modules, and even
ElementTree, which might be seen as the standard way to work with XML.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear other people's thoughts about this. Maybe
I'm looking at it the wrong way.