windev vs python SOS

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Thu Sep 28 21:10:44 EDT 2006

My french is attrocious so I got Michels original post machine
transated.
I liked what Michel was saying, maybe others would like to share:

Hello! As you are French, you will coprendras me. Then: - windev is
closed, and protected by dongles. Result: dongle lost, broken down, or
flown, a licence should be repurchased (it arrived to a friend) - the
language of windev is much less advanced than Python. And, when I say
much, it is weak... Python has enormous possibilities in procedural
programming, in Directed Object, and, even, in functional programming.
- the internal structure of Python is extraordinary. Really. - Python
is very easy to learn. There exists much of resources, even in French,
on Internet, in books, etc. - Python is a stable language, with very
very few bugs/problèmes. On this point, windev mark seriously the
step. On certain forums devoted to windev, the number of bugs announced
was frightening. - the bookshops available for Python cover a spectrum
much broader than those available for windev - the data bases
integrated into windev are from the old engine "hyperfile", too much
limited. With Python, one can choose the DBMS which one wants, without
too concern. Since SQL-lite, until Oracle (XE or other), one can assume
all the levels of power necessary. - with Python, one can make
multi-threading, distributed, Web applications, consoles, invisible
(services), waiters COM, develop interfaces, or of use of all ready,
work on network, control industrial plants, etc etc. - I do not use the
"free one" as argument, except for a point: if PC-SOFTWARE (editor of
windev) has, one day of large difficulties, the product could
disparaitre well suddenly, which is not the case of Python, maintained
by a community. However, few years ago, this box had, precisely, of
financial important problems. The large strong point of windev, it is a
very aggressive marketing. Moreover, if you want to eat and drink with
the eye, will follow the presentations. Before last point: you could
have put your message in the French newsgroup on Python. Last point: if
somebody wants to translate this message, it has my entire agreement.
-- @-greetings Michel Archstone