A critique of cgi.escape

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Tue Sep 26 11:36:28 EDT 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com> writes:
>> o cgi.escape is not meant for serious web application development,
>
> What is it meant for then?  Why should the library ever implement
> anything in a half-assed way unsuitable for serious application
> development, if it can supply a robust implementation instead?

I'd have to dig through the revision history to be sure, but I imagine
that cgi.escape was originally only used in the cgi module (and there
only in it's various print_* functions). Then it started being used by
other core Python modules e.g. cgitb, DocXMLRPCServer.

The "mistake", if there was one, was probably that escape wasn't spelled
_escape and got documented in the LaTeX documentation system.

All of this is just speculation though.

Cheers,
Brian