Creating database structures in a portable way

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Mon Sep 18 12:00:08 EDT 2006

Samuel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a library that takes an XML file that specifies a
> table structure, and generates the CREATE/DROP/ALTER SQL statements to
> create the tables in the database.
>
> In particular, I am trying to port a PHP application that currently
> uses the AdoDB XML schema:
>
>> http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/docs-datadict.htm#xmlschema
>
> Is there a way to do something similar with the DB-API modules in
> Python?

FWIW, there's a Python port of adodb:
http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/adodb-py-docs.htm

and parsing XML in Python is quite easy. So you could as well port the
AdoDB XML to Python too.

OTOH, there are other - possibly better (YMMV) - DB abstraction layers
in Python, like SQLAlchemy. And since the above solution requires
(re)writing the xml-parsing part, it might be worth rewriting it so it
knows how to generate SQLAlchemy schemas instead.

My 2 cents...

--
bruno desthuilliers