builtin regular expressions?

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Sat Sep 30 15:01:57 EDT 2006

* Steve Holden (Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:46:03 +0100)
> Mirco Wahab wrote:
> > Thus spoke Antoine De Groote (on 2006-09-30 11:24):
> Tim Peters frequently says something along the lines of "If you have a
> problem and you try to solve it with regexes, then you have TWO
> problems".

It's originally from Jamie Zawinski:
'Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
regular expressions." Now they have two problems.'

And the simple reason why Regular Expressions are not a part of the
core Python language is that Regular Expressions are overrated. They
are simply not the preferred tool for every kind of text manipulation
and extraction.

Thorsten