Priority based concurrent execution

Willi Richert w.richert at gmx.net
Thu Sep 21 06:16:12 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have a simulation application (PlayerStage) in which the robot is asked
every ~200ms for an action. In the meantime the robot has to do some
calculation with the perception. As the calculation gets more and more time
consuming I am thinking about outsourcing it into a concurrently running
method. If the calculation takes too long it would be ok for the result to be
incorporated in some future cycle of the main loop, resulting in the
calculation being done less and less often and the main loop executing some
stop behavior.
My question: Is there a possibility in Python (either with the threading
module or with Twisted's non-threading style) to prioritize the two
(pseudo-)concurrent methods so that the main tread is further on executed
every ~200ms and the calculation thread being executed only in "idle" time
slots?

Thanks,
wr