Building things with setup.py

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 22 16:44:10 EDT 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> James Stroud schrieb:
>
>>>What happens if you omit these flags?
>>
>>Please see my last message to Robert Kern.
>

> If you don't want me to help you, that's fine, then I won't.
>
> I couldn't find an answer to this question in any of your
> messages in this thread.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive. Perhaps I misunderstood what
"these" actually referred to. The results of omitting these flags
specifically:

      "-lpython2.5 -lpthread -lm -lutil -ldl -shared"

Are posted here for both numpy and scipy:

http://www.jamesstroud.com/build-scipy-logs/build-scipy-py2.5-euler.txt
http://www.jamesstroud.com/build-scipy-logs/build-numpy-py2.5-euler.txt

I have not tried unsetenv'ing $LDFLAGS entirely, an option which did not
occur to me given their necessity for just about everything else. If you
think that this is a worthwhile experiment, I will run it.

 > Still, it *should* work out of the box. If it doesn't, it
 > means there is an error somewhere. If you don't want to
 > help finding the error, that's fine, too (but please say
 > so, because that will constrain the solution space).

I think I would like to know how to avoid or correct these sort of
issues in the future, which seem to be limited, for me at least, to
scipy and numpy, with the possible exception of MySQLdb and its
dependency on zlib. Ideally, I would like to understand exactly what
causes these errors in addition to knowing what I can do to correct them
in the future.

James

--
James Stroud