Help me use my Dual Core CPU!

Simon Wittber simonwittber at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 09:27:17 EDT 2006

Tim Golden wrote:
> + Pyro - http://pyro.sf.net
> + Corba - eg omniorb http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/
> + SPyRO - http://lsc.fie.umich.mx/~sadit/spyro/spyro.html
> + mmap - (built-in module) http://docs.python.org/lib/module-mmap.html
> + twisted - (because it can do everything), esp.
> http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/spread
> + Spread - http://www.spread.org/
> + Roll-your-own sockets -
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-SocketServer.html

For game programming purposes, I was hoping someone could point me to a
technique for sharing objects across Python processes, preferably
without any kind of marshal/unmarshal steps. It's a long shot, I know.
To be viable, I'll need to be able to pass messages between processes
very quickly. For example, It would be simple to paralellize some
graphics calculations over two processors with each process sharing a
common read-only scene data structure; however, a marshalling step in
this kind of process would be too costly.

I've used three of the libraries you mention, however, they are not
very usable for the task I had in mind, but are of course excellent for
other server based programming tasks.

> But I have the feeling I'm teaching my grandmother... Is that
> the kind of thing you were after? Or not?

I'm not familiar with the expression 'teaching my grandmother'. What
exactly does it mean?

-Sw.